Sunday, September 28, 2014

Go - Elephant's Eye

This fast impulsive painting is the product of several ideas colliding across space and time. About six weeks ago, I started playing Go and am now completely enamored with it. I just learned the name for elephant's eye shape last week. Once upon a time, two years ago, I hatched plans to paint three endangered species in ultra-vibrant colors. The preliminary sketches were in this post. Passion for something even better (at the time) snuffed out that idea. Yesterday, I walked past the most amazingly brilliant red dahlias, and suddenly I knew where this was going. Red seemed appropriate because of passion, danger, and because, as I understand it, typically only one of the two Go stones can live in this configuration.

Friday, September 26, 2014

Spirit Siege - Game Design Kickstarter Updates

 During our Kickstarter campaign, there were a number of game features we wanted to explain in greater detail. For our daily backer updates, I made these explanatory panels to give visual interest to what might have otherwise been walls of text, using copy from our game designers and Caitlyn Patten's character art.

Spirit Siege - Featured Characters

During our Kickstarter campaign, we wanted to highlight the units and teach our backers some basic strategies. I made up these handy informational panels for 15 featured characters using information from our game designers and Caitlyn Patten's adorable character art.


Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Information Density is Fun!

By far, this chart was the most fun piece of graphic design I created for Spirit Siege's Kickstarter campaign. It needed to convey a lot of information and make it easy to see what the backers would recieve at each tier. Many of these types of charts simply use X's to indicate whether items are included in different backer tiers, but we used small graphic representations of each item instead, repeating written information visually where relevant. More visual appeal, easier to parse, and strategic redundancy for the win.

What made this project particularly fun was cramming a lot of information into a really tight space. Over the many iterations shown below, I adjusted things like column widths and icon designs to accommodate the changing character length of item names and the current number of backer tiers.